Sunday, January 16, 2011

Storing files locally

Stupid Cr-48 Tricks
So, a short back story. In order to track some Android projects I’ve put together an apps account (apps.google.com) with a private google sites account (sites.google.com). I won’t post the details on that just yet because I’m in the process of shifting things around, and my sites are in a bit of disarray. Anyway, I finish publishing my first Android app (Yay!) and I suddenly realize...we’ll not suddenly, but it’s become a problem that I want to be rid of...that I’ve tied my projects google sites account to my personal gmail account. Not a huge deal, but it has resulted in some very annoying repeated log-ins and log-outs. I don’t have alot of data there, so I decided to bite the bullet and duplicate my sites data under the right account. The majority of the content in my sites account is text in pages, so it was just about a half hour of typing to move things over. There are, however, three documents stored in my sites. I’m trying to perform my data migration on the cr-48, and I thought I was going to have to go sit at my desktop to finish the migration due to the need to move 3 files from site to site. Since I’m sitting on the couch, and not much interested in moving, I figured I’d mess around and see what I could accomplish with the tools at hand. To my surprise, it was amazingly, and unexpectedly, simple.
I clicked on the file, and chose download. The file saved locally. I went to the destination page, chose upload file, chose browse, and a list of local files popped up. From this list I chose a file, and uploaded.
Now where I’m caught off guard is that it was my understanding that the normal user wouldn’t have access to data on the local drive. My mistake. The user can download, save, and upload files using the standard configuration of the Cr48. They can’t, of course, be edited, but that’s reasonable because all of your editing tools live in the cloud.
I don’t know how much local storage the Cr48 has, but I assume that it is also possible to download to an SD card.
I had no idea. Very cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment