Monday, January 17, 2011

Facebook is doing weird things to my Cr48

Wanna see a dead body!?
Ok, not really, but it’s really kinda weird. My wife was setting up a facebook profile page for me on my Cr48. She wanted to know how to get pictures from one location to another, so I thought I’d show off my knowledge of my little Cr48, and show her how to download pictures locally, then upload them somewhere else. Right-click the image you want to save, give it a name, and save. Open the page you want to upload to, choose browse, and...Hey! What the hell are you doing to my computer?...She didn’t get the little file list that I was expecting to show her, she’d managed to open a file system browser. It took us a little time to find the location of the images we wanted to upload cause neither one of us is a Linux user, but when we finally did, there were the files, all ready to be uploaded. I haven’t figured out an easy way to get to this file system browser, but it is easy to reproduce. The following is the only way I’ve managed to do it.
Open your facebook profile, click on your Photos link. Click on the “Upload Photos” button. Click “Select Photos.”
What you get is a file system browser that appears to give you full access, well, as far as I, a Windows guy can tell, to your file system.
This is particularly odd because it’s my understanding that one of the major features of the Cr48 is that it doesn’t allow the normal user access to the file system, but Facebook wanders in, shoves a java file system browser in there, and bypasses all that.
The file type filter is limiting the view to image files, but it’s probably very easy to bypass that yourself, especially if you decide to write your own page to do this. I guess the major issue is that it seems to be so easy to do it in an environment where the average user isn’t supposed to be going there.

No comments:

Post a Comment