Tuesday, April 24, 2012

So, the long awaited Google Drive is finally here. I won't talk about that cause everybody else has, except to say that mine is up and running on my laptop and Android devices, and it's looking pretty cool. Anyway, as I was setting up Google Drive, I noticed a setting to enable offline docs. So far I don't know if it works on my laptop or not, because my first move was to pull out my Cr-48 to see if Google had finally made this a useful device rather than just a curiosity. It doesn't have to do everything, it just has to be useful when there is no WiFi available. Turns out, unless I'm missing something, that yes, offline docs are enabled, but they are read only. So, when I'm without Internet I can read some of my docs (some because I have yet to see all of them synced). The end result is that my Acer Iconia A-500 with a keyboard case is a far more useful device, even when I limit the usage to the activities that the Cr-48 should be able to do. Online, my tablet browses just as well, streams video much better, plays music better, and can edit documents. Offline my tablet can still play music with offline caching of Google Music, and can edit documents with Google Drive. I never really expected the Cr-48 to be a full use laptop, and I understand that it's supposed to be an Internet device, but I think that it does need to have some functionality offline, even if it's only allowing the ability to work with my Google docs offline.

No comments:

Post a Comment