Tuesday, February 22, 2011

What's up with that shift lock key???

During the day I live the life of a mild mannered programmer. Most of my work is c#, a little bit is java on an evil, mobile, non-tree-born-food-item platform that I shall not name just now, and currently all my work is in Windows. I can't use this cr-48 as much as I'd like, but I use it almost exclusively (aside from pumping video to my TV) when at home.
What was that ramble about? Well, I use shift lock quite a bit. Google, for what I have determined must be a joke...and really, a pretty funny one at that, has decided to place their search key in the exact location that the rest of the world expects the shift lock key. Once in a while I like to yell on twitter or facebook, or I'm actually doing something productive that requires all caps, and I just start typing. I'm on my cr-48, and I hit the shift lock, and my cr-48 spazzes out and opens a new tab. I say, "woah, what the hell was that?" I close the tab, go back to typing, hit the shift lock, and my cr-48 spazzes out, etc. I usually do this maybe 3 to 5 times before I look at the keyboard and remember which computer I'm on. Why I can't remember this, I don't know, but to remove the shift key and replace it with something that opens new tabs has got to be a joke.

2 comments:

  1. THEY'RE TRYING TO ENCOURAGE REDUCTION IN THE AMOUNT OF ALL-CAPS TYPING THAT CERTAIN PEOPLE [WHO DON'T USE COMPUTERS OR THE INTERNET PARTICULARLY OFTEN] SEEM TO DO ON A DISPROPORTIONATE BASIS, USUALLY OUT OF LAZINESS.

    WHAT, THIS TEXT LOOKS LIKE YELLING TO YOU? I SWEAR I'M TALKING QUIETLY. ALL I DID WAS TURN ON CAPS LOCK.

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, you make a good point, but it's irritating. Like I said, I admit that it's me who keeps forgetting and launching that search tab a few times, but maybe they could just put a dummy key there so I don't keep doing that? :)
    Besides, holding shift with one hand while typing with the other takes too long...by the time I'm done yelling, I'm not pissed anymore.

    ReplyDelete